This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.
This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.View Full Document
Unformatted text preview: September 19
- a lot...not alot
- accept...to receive, except...to exclude
- believe, think, feel, hope...you do
not know what
people believe, etc.
--can say "Gina said she
--can not say "Gina hopes..."
- complement...supplementing or completes
- imply...writers/speakers imply in
- infer...listener/reader infer
something in words
- it's not uncommon...it's common
--He is 4 years old
--He has a 4-year-old daughter
--"s" = no hyphen, no "s" = hyphen
- not only...but also(NEVER a comma before but)
- funeral service...use services or funeral
- general public...use public - ensure...guarantee, insure...refers
some more than one word
- along with/as well as/ instead
- parallel prepositions...should repeat
- separating proper nouns...must separate!
- coordinate conjunctions connect
- correlative conjunctions connect
of equal rank
--Study list on Page 106.
- if...then/ "If you study, then you
will do well."
- subordinate clauses...although, because, after
-NEVER a comma before because in the
- that is essential to the meaning of a
- which is not essential, comma always
before - conjunction adverbs...transitional
--also, besides, likewise, meanwhile
--Page 107 ...
View Full Document
- Fall '11