LAST TWO WEEKS BEFORE BAR: 60 HOURS A WEEK STUDY TIME
AM: 3HR 15 MIN: 40 Minutes per essay and 1 hour for the NY Mult Choice (Need 30 right)
You will get an 8 page answer book per essay.
PM: 3 HRS: 2 NY Essays (40 Minutes) (Need atleast 5 out of 10) and one MPT (90 minutes) (Need atleast 5 out of 10) =
In the 5 Essays there are 20 major issues. (If there is a Con Law essay on exam (not often), it is usually on Article I.)
USE IRAC – DO NOT PUT CONCLUSION FIRST
5 Minutes – Look at questions at the end and then read essay.
Next 5 to 10 minutes – Organize outline. What are the problems?
20 -25 minutes – Write the essay.
1. Issue spotting (1/3 of your points)
2. Correct application of NY Law (1/3 of points)
3. Strength of your argument (1/3 of points)
4. Organizational skills
Each issue in your essay is one “essay.” Do IRAC for each issue. For each issue, state the narrow issue. For example, the issue is ….
1. Deliniate your issues. If BAR gives A, B, C, give them back A, B, and C.
2. State the obvious law.
3. Be definitive. USE THE WORD “BECAUSE” and
“The rule is”, not “I think the rule is”
4. Err on the side of verbosity.
5. Never discuss non-issues. Never use “If” to change the facts.
6. No case cites except Miranda or Erie.
7. State statutory source. “Under NY statutory law BCL, EPTL, CPLR, DRL, CPL, Penal Law, UCC, etc”
8. Define terms like “res ipsa loquiter”
9. Never go over the 40 minute time mark.
Always discuss relevance in Evidence questions for extra points
Essay will typically be 4 pages single spaced - 750-1000 words in 25-30 minutes of writing time – grader will spend 4 minutes reading
and grading your essay answer. Will grade all essays and MPT in under 30 min.
Minor legal issue ½ pt
Major Legal Issue 1-1/2 pts
Typical essay has 7-9 grading boxes.
So a 1 pt box will be 1/3, 1/2/ or 2/3 pts. Rarely will someone get the full point. ½ point is an average grade.
1. Did you state the legal issue presented by the material facts
2. Did you state the correct legal conclusion
3. How well did you state the applicable rule of law
4. Did you state your reasoning to support your legal conclusion.
If you get a 4 ½ it is rounded up to a 5, so if you get an extra 1/3 per essay, you can boost your score. If you get 5 out of 10 on each
essay, you PASS.
20% will get 1-4, 60% will get a 5, 20% will score 6-9, No one receives a 10.
Need 50-60% Essay and 60-65% MBE