{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Uncertainty - Introduction :.We .,inalmost

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Uncertainty and information asymmetry Introduction This chapter looks at two topics: decisions under uncertainty and asymmetric information.  We  will define these terms over the course of the chapter.  We begin by considering decisions under uncertainty.  Uncertainty is all around us, in almost  every decision we make.  The future always contains some degree of uncertainty.  You may get sick  in the future, or your stock portfolio may dive or skyrocket.  Playing poker, you do not know what the  next card you are dealt will be.   Before we start though, we must cover a little bit of introductory  statistics.  First off is the concept of expected value.   Expected value  is the expected average value  of an event if it is repeated many times.  Expected value is calculated by taking every possible out- come, multiplying each possible outcome by the probability that outcome will occur, and then adding  those weighted outcomes together.  For example, the expected value of rolling a fair die is 1 x (1/6) +  2 x (1/6) + 3 x (1/6) + 4 x (1/6) + 5 x (1/6) + 6 x (1/6) = 3.5.  This is because on a fair die, each value  has a probability of 1/6 of being rolled.  Thus we multiply each value shown on the die by its respect- ive probability and add the weighted outcome. Now that we understand the expected value, let's see how it is applied in a gambling example.   The game is as follows: I roll a fair die.  If the number is odd, I pay you the square of the value.  If the  number is even, you pay me the square of the value. What is your expected value for this game?    The concept of expected value shows us that this game is stacked against you.  On average, you will  lose 21/6, or 3 ½ , every time you play.   Insurance Die Number Payoff Probability Payoff * Probabil- ity 1 1 1/6 1/6 2 -4 1/6 -4/6 3 9 1/6 9/6 4 -16 1/6 -16/6 5 25 1/6 25/6 6 -36 1/6 -36/6 Expected Value -21/6
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
With this background, we are now ready to consider an example of decision making under un- certainty.  Suppose your house is worth $40,000, you have $30,000 in a savings account, and so at  the start of the year your total wealth is $70,000. There is a 1/10 chance of a fire in your home. If the  fire occurs it will do $30,000 of damages and so you will have to use all of the money in your savings  account to repair your house.  Thus if the fire occurs, your wealth at the end of the year will be  $40,000.   It is not hard to see that the expected value of your wealth at the end of the year is (0.9 x  70000) + (0.1 x 40000) = $67,000.  (Note here that there is a 90% probability that no fire will occur,  leaving you with $70,000, while there is a 10% chance a fire would decrease your wealth to $40,000.)
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}