lecture 2 - THE CHEMISTRY OF LIFE QUIZONE tenpoints...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 QUIZ ONE ten points will close September 16 th No Exceptions QUIZ ONE ten points will close September 16 th No Exceptions No Excuses No Exceptions No Excuses THE CHEMISTRY OF LIFE THE CHEMISTRY OF LIFE Chemical Foundations of Biology Life is an ongoing chemical reaction Homeostasis keeps life’s balance Life is finely tuned to the conditions on Earth , the universe , and the multiverse wider hospitable ‘green’ zone Cooler stars Hotter stars narrow hospitable ‘green’ zone The Periodic Table Essential Elements of Life 25% of the elements existing on Earth (N=92) are essential to life CHON Æ Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Nitrogen make up 96% of living matter Most of the remaining 4% consists of Ca, P, K, S ‘Trace elements’ are those required by an organism in minute quantities
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 Structure of Atoms Atoms are the smallest units of matter that retain the properties of an element some types of atomic particles protons neutrons and electrons
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 09/29/2011 for the course BIO 121 taught by Professor Pazymino during the Fall '08 term at UMass Dartmouth.

Page1 / 3

lecture 2 - THE CHEMISTRY OF LIFE QUIZONE tenpoints...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online