_________________________ entails having the knowledge and understanding of computers and their
A(n) _________________________ is an electronic device, operating under the control of instructions
stored in its own memory, that can accept data, process the data according to specified rules, produce results,
and store the results for future use.
_________________________ is a collection of unprocessed items, which can include text, numbers,
images, audio, and video.
_________________________ conveys meaning and is useful to one or more people.
Some people refer to the series of input, process, output, and storage activities as the
INFORMATION PROCESSING CYCLE
A computer contains many electric, electronic, and mechanical components known as
A(n) _________________________ is any hardware component that allows you to enter data and
instructions into a computer.
A(n) _________________________ is any hardware component that conveys information to one or more
The _________________________ is a case that contains electronic components of the computer that are
used to process data.
10. The _________________________ is the electronic component that interprets and carries out the basic
instructions that operate the computer.
11. _________________________ consists of electronic components that store instructions waiting to be
executed and data needed by those instructions.
12. A computer keeps data, instructions, and information on _________________________ such as floppy
disks, Zip disks, USB flash drives, hard disks, CDs, DVDs, and memory cards.
13. A(n) _________________________ records (writes) and/or retrieves (reads) items to and from storage
14. A(n) _________________________ is a hardware component that enables a computer to send (transmit)
and receive data, instructions, and information to and from one or more computers.
15. A(n) _________________________ is anyone who communicates with a computer or utilizes the
information it generates.
16. A(n) _________________________ is a collection of computers and devices connected together via
communications devices and transmission media.
17. When a computer connects to a network, such as that pictured in the accompanying figure, the computer is
18. Networks, such as that pictured in the accompanying figure, allow computers to share
_________________________, such as hardware, software, data, and information.
19. The _________________________ is a worldwide collection of networks that connects millions of
businesses, government agencies, educational institutions, and individuals.
20. The _________________________, which contains billions of documents called Web pages, is one of the