This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: CHAPTER 50
An Introduction to Ecology and the Biosphere
Tropical rain forest
Explain why the composition of the biotic factors and abiotic factors in an ecosystem
affect the survival of the organisms that live in that ecosystem.
2. Identify and describe the abiotic and biotic components of each of the zones that make up
a freshwater lake.
3. Draw a diagram of zonation in a lake.
4. Identify and describe each of the zones that make up the ocean.
5. Draw a diagram of zonation in the ocean.
6. Describe the characteristics of the major terrestrial biomes: tropical forest, savanna,
desert, chaparral, temperate grassland, temperate forest, taiga, tundra.
7. Which biome has the highest biodiversity? Which biomes are adapted to withstand
repeated fires? Which biome do you think we live in, in Orange County?
8. Is a niche a place? Explain and defend your answer.
9. What is the principle of allocation? Give an example that illustrates your answer.
10. Organisms respond to changes in their environment in different ways. Describe the
following types of responses: physiological, morphological, and behavioral responses.
Give an example for each of these responses.
View Full Document