THY101 Bench & Hand Tools Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
• Prick, Centre and Pin Punches. • Diamond point chisel and sample of hole correction and re- alignment. • Angle plate. • Hammers and mallets. • Hacksaw and different blades. • Screwdrivers and wrenches. Equipment for Lesson
• A prick punch is 60 degrees and is used to mark the position where holes or other features are to be located. • A centre punch is 90 degrees and is used to enlarge the indentation made with a prick punch ready for drilling. Centre and Prick Punches 60° 90°
• Pin punches are used with a hammer to install or extract dowel and split pins. Pin Punches
• Most punches are made from high carbon steel. Each punch is heat treated to produce the desired physical characteristics. • Ask your shop teacher to demonstrate correct method for re-sharpening points. Heat Treatment of Punches HARD TOUGH TOUGH SOFT
• Scribers come in many sizes and types. Most are simply lengths of high carbon steel with a sharp point.
- Summer '20
- Carbon steel, hammer, Chisel