Many, Many Examples Of Essential Questions
Decisions, Actions, and Consequences
What is the relationship between decisions and consequences?
How do we know how to make good decisions?
How can a person’s decisions and actions change his/her life?
How do the decisions and actions of characters reveal their personalities?
How do decisions, actions, and consequences vary depending on the different
perspectives of the people involved?
What is social justice?
To what extent does power or the lack of power affect individuals?
What is oppression and what are the root causes?
How are prejudice and bias created? How do we overcome them?
What are the responsibilities of the individual in regard to issues of social justice?
How can literature serve as a vehicle for social change?
When should an individual take a stand against what he/she believes to be an injustice?
What are the most effective ways to do this?
What are the factors that create an imbalance of power within a culture?
What does power have to do with fairness and justice?
10. When is it necessary to question the status quo? Who decides?
11. What are the benefits and consequences of questioning / challenging social order?
12. How do stereotypes influence how we look at and understand the world?
13. What does it mean to be invisible? (context: minorities)
14. In what ways can a minority keep their issues on the larger culture’s “radar screen?”
15. What creates prejudice, and what can an individual overcome it?
16. What are the causes and consequences of prejudice and injustice, and how does an
individual’s response to them reveal his/her true character?
17. What allows some individuals to take a stand against prejudice/oppression while others
choose to participate in it?
18. What are the causes and consequences of prejudice and how does an individual’s
response to it reveal his/her morals, ethics, and values?
Culture: Values, Beliefs & Rituals
How do individuals develop values and beliefs?
What factors shape our values and beliefs?
How do values and beliefs change over time?
How does family play a role in shaping our values and beliefs?
Why do we need beliefs and values?
What happens when belief systems of societies and individuals come into conflict?
When should an individual take a stand in opposition to an individual or larger group?