Obesity_Presentation

Obesity_Presentation - 2010 Renal Symposium Obesity:...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–40. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: 2010 Renal Symposium Obesity: Prevalence, Causes and Possible Solutions Collin A. Webster, Ph.D. Department of Physical Education and Athletic Training University of South Carolina What roles does physical activity play in peoples lives today? What purposes does physical activity serve or how is it valuable for different people? What is the purpose of school physical education? How is it different from recess? How is it different from interscholastic sports? What should a physically educated person know, value and be able to do? Why are some people more physically active than others? Why are people in the United States today more overweight and obese than previous generations of Americans? What is the solution to the obesity epidemic? Average U.S. Life Expectancy Todays Adults Todays Children 77.9 72.9 Smallpox Malaria Polio Tuberculosi s Pneumonia OBESITY 435,000 Deaths 400,000 Deaths OBESI TY = = $117 Billion $100 Billion 5 years old >12 years old = = 40% Chance 60% Chance Cardiovascular Disease Type 2 Diabetes Gallbladder Disease Hypertension and Stroke Cancer Osteoarthritis Cardiovascular Disease Respiratory Difficulties Musculoskeletal Problems Skin Problems Infertility Renal Disease OBESIT Y RENAL DISEASE Built environment Nuclear family Competition for leisure time activity Perceptions Built environment Nuclear family Competition for leisure time activity Perceptions Built environment Nuclear family Competition for leisure time activity Perceptions Built environment Nuclear family Competition for leisure time activity Perceptions Built environment Nuclear family Competition for leisure time activity Perceptions 1960 38% of women, married and unmarried, entering the workforce 2000 64% SES Biological factors Cultural norms SES Biological factors Cultural norms SES Biological factors Cultural norms SES Biological factors Cultural norms...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 10/04/2011 for the course PEDU 575 taught by Professor Doen during the Spring '11 term at South Carolina.

Page1 / 100

Obesity_Presentation - 2010 Renal Symposium Obesity:...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 40. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online