Handout4

Handout4 - continental slope has the steepest slope and the...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
HANDOUT FOR CHAPTER 4 Continental Margins and Ocean Basins * The earth is about 4.6 billion years old. * Surface of the Earth: 70.8% by ocean, 29.2% by land. * More than 97% of all the water found at or near the surface of the Earth is contained in the ocean while the bulk of the remaining ~3% is contained in the glaciers in Antarctic Continent and Greenland. * Among the three major oceans (Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian), the largest and oldest is Pacific, while the smallest and youngest is Indian. * The average elevation of land is 840 m, and the average depth of ocean is 3,790 m. * The tallest mountain, Mt. Everest is 8,848 m, while the deepest known depth, Mariana Trench is 11,035 m. * Continental margin (Continental shelf , continental slope , continental rise) , and deep-sea floor (abyssal plain, abyssal hills, seamounts, guyots, oceanic ridges, oceanic plateaus)
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: ; continental slope has the steepest slope, and the abyssal plain is the flattest. * Submarine canyons are V-shaped indentation incised into the continental shelf and slope, of-ten terminating on the deep-sea floor in a great fan of sediment. * Turbidity currents are an underwater avalanche of sediments thought responsible for the sculpturing of submarine canyons and a means of sediment transport into abyssal plains. * Abyssal plains and abyssal hills . * Seamounts and guyots . * A hypsographic curve is a plot of the area of the Earth's surface above any given elevation or depth above or below sea level * During the last glacial period (15,000 - 18,000 years ago), sea level was ~ 130 - 140 m lower than the present level, and the coast was located near the shelf break (i. e., River mouths were located near the shelf break)....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 10/07/2011 for the course OCS 1005 taught by Professor Condrey during the Spring '08 term at LSU.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online