This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: LECTURE - 10
1. Chi-square test
2. Sex Determination (including anomalies) MENDEL STUDIED SEVEN OBSERVABLE
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE PEA PLANT X chromosome
• Hermann Henking: In 1891, observed the X
chromosome and called it the X body
• Clarence McClung: observed the X
chromosome in grasshoppers and called it
the accessory chromosome. The name later
changed to X chromosome.
• Nettie Stevens and Edmund Wilson: In
1905 described the XX-XO system in
grasshoppers- XX=female XO=male
homogametic heterogametic sex Four siblings
+XY) One sister (XX,
not shown) was
a carrier for the
and bore a child
feminization. Sex Determination
• XX-XO: grasshoppers
ZW-ZZ: birds, fish
Haplodiploidy: (no sex chromosomes)
bees, wasps, ants
• Environmental: slipper limpets
• Genic balance: Drosophila ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/25/2011 for the course BICD 100 taught by Professor Nehring during the Spring '08 term at UCSD.
- Spring '08