This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.
This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.View Full Document
Unformatted text preview: Cabot/Koppers By Guri Zeigerman Cabot Carbon Site History 49 acres Chemical industry activities onsite since 1911 1945 Purchased by Cabot for production of Pine Tar and Charcoal Products of their operation stored in 3 unlined lagoons. 1967 Property sold to private investor Raymond Tassinari. 1967 The contents of the 3 unlined lagoons were discharged into a drainage ditch and eventually into Hogtown and Springstead Creeks. 1967 Cabot charged a $100 fine for polluting the creek. 1977 - Property sold to Harry Hamilton, a private developer who began construction of the strip mall we see on the site today. 1977 FDER conducts a study of life in Hogtown Creek downstream of the Cabot site. Found that the creek was completely devoid of life for 1.1 miles. PRP Cabot Corporation (Cabot Carbon) Koppers Site History 90 acres Started in 1916 treating telephone poles 4 Main Areas of Contamination 2 Wastewater Holding Ponds Drip Track Cooling Pond/Processing Area Listed on NPL in 1983 Purchased by Beazer East, Inc. in 1988. Koppers allowed to continue operations by Beazer until they stopped operations and sold it to Beazer in 2009. Potentially Responsible Party Beazer East, Inc. The continuation of plant operations at the Koppers site severely hindered any possible cleanup efforts for the 26 years operations continued after the sites placement on the NPL. Used creosote to treat telephone poles and then dumped it into two wastewater lagoons in the North(1956) and South(1943) portions of the site. These two wastewater ponds were closed in the 1970s and filled in with dirt. Beginning in the 6os, creosote was being progressively replaced by pentachlorophenol and Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) for use in treating the telephone poles. By the early 1990s, creosote and pentachlorophenol were completely phased out of use and the company was only using CCAs to treat the telephone poles until their closure in 2009. Chemical Contamination Soil testing of the Cabot/Koppers Superfund site shows that it is contaminated with the following chemicals: Dioxins (from use of pentachlorophenols) Arsenic (from use of Chromated Copper Arsenate) Polycyclic Aromated Hydrocarbons or PAHs (from use of Creosote) Naphthalene (from use of Creosote) All are associated with serious health concerns if a person comes into contact with these chemicals for extended periods of time. Superfund Progress 1979-1981 FDER and the EPA conduct the Preliminary Assessment and Site Investigation (PA/SI). Contamination of soil and groundwater as well as the Main Street Ditch was found....
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 10/19/2011 for the course GLY 3882 taught by Professor Screaton during the Spring '09 term at University of Florida.
- Spring '09