Coca Cola Bottling Company Consolidated
4100 Coca Cola Plaza
Coca Cola made its debut in 1886 at Jacobs’ Pharmacy Soda Fountain in Atlanta, GA. In 1902,
J. B. Harrison, Great-Grandfather of current Chairman and CEO, Frank Harrison, III, began selling
Coca-Cola in bottles in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Greensboro business was North Carolina’s
first Coca-Cola bottling company. That same year, Luther Snyder began selling Coca-Cola in
Charlotte, North Carolina.
In 1920, the US Supreme Court ruled that the name “Coke” means “Coca-Cola,” thereby
making “Coke” a trademark of The Coca-Cola Company. In 1930, the company that is now Coca-Cola
Bottling Co. moved to a new home on West Moorehead Street in Charlotte and was operating seven
In 1972, the company changed its name to Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of the Mid Carolinas and
stock was offered to the public for the first time. Snyder Production Center opened in Charlotte and to
this day is one of the largest soft drink manufacturing facilities in the United States.
In 1977, J. Frank Harrison Jr., grand-son of the company founder became chairman of the
board. In 1997, Board Chairman, J. Frank Harrison, III, great-grandson of the company’s founder,
In 1982, Diet Coke was introduced followed in the next year with caffeine-free versions of
Coke, Diet Coke and Tab. Coca-Cola Consolidated was the first company to introduce Cherry Coke to
consumers. In 1985, “New” Coke was introduced. It was the first change of the “secret formula” since
Coca-Cola was created. However, once the public had spoken, Coca-Cola returned to its original
classic Coca-Cola formula.
Coca-Cola Consolidated experienced tremendous growth over the past couple of decades. In