ch10_review - Klug, Concepts of Genetics 8/e Chapter 10...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Klug, Concepts of Genetics 8/e Chapter 10 MEDIA REVIEW QUESTIONS 1. What observation did Griffith make in his experiments with Streptococcus pneumoniae ? a. The mouse did not survive when injected with a mixture of live, avirulent (smooth) Streptococcus pneumoniae and heat-killed, virulent Streptococcus pneumoniae . b. That DNA is the genetic material. c. The mouse survived injection of live virulent (smooth) Streptococcus pneumoniae . d. The heat-killed, virulent Streptococcus pneumoniae was lethal to the mouse. 2. What results did Avery, McLeod and McCarty obtain in their experiments with virulent bacteria? a. The transforming principle was too complex and difficult to be purified. b. RNase destroyed the transforming activity. c. DNase destroyed the transforming activity. d. Protease destroyed the transforming activity. 3. Which enzyme makes DNA from an RNA template? a. RNA polymerase b. Replicase c. DNA polymerase d. Reverse transcriptase 4. True or false? In forming a nucleotide, phosphorus is most often attached to the nucleoside at the C- 5’ position of the sugar. 5. Which of the following statements is true of thymine? a. Thymine is the same as 5-methyl uracil. b. Thymine can never be attached to ribose. c. Thymine has an amino group at the C-4 position. d. Thymine has a methyl group attached to the N-1 position. 6. Watson and Crick used information from several individuals to construct their model of DNA. Whose X-ray diffraction studies were critical to their work? a. Phoebus Levene b. Linus Pauling c. Rosalind Franklin d. Maurice Wilkins 7. If a double-stranded sample of DNA has a base composition of 20% guanine, which of the following statements is true? a. The amount of cytosine must be equal to 30% so that the total amount of G + C equals 50%. b. The ratio of purines to pyrimidines must be greater than 1. c. The amount of thymine must equal 30%. d. The amount of the other purine adenine must also equal 20%. 8. Which of the following statements does not describe Z-DNA? a. Z-DNA is typical of GC-rich sequences. b. The sugar phosphate backbone of Z-DNA assumes a zigzag course through space. c. The strands are not antiparallel. d. It forms a left-handed helix. 9. RNA differs from DNA in all of the following ways except a. The presence of uracil b. The sugar molecule c. The number of different functions performed d. The 5'–3' orientation of the polynucleotide strand
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
10. Of the following DNA strands in combination with their complementary strands (forming double helices), three undergo a hyperchromic shift with a T m of about 42°C. Which one has a T m of 52°C? a. AAATTTGGGA b. CTTAAATTTG c. ATTGAGTGTA d. TCATGCGATC 11. Which technique can be used to identify the location of genes on a chromosome? a. FISH
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This test prep was uploaded on 04/06/2008 for the course BIOL 313 taught by Professor Vollbrecht during the Spring '08 term at Iowa State.

Page1 / 8

ch10_review - Klug, Concepts of Genetics 8/e Chapter 10...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online