ew - Presented by Jigar.R.Rajpura. 1 Government:...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–11. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Presented by Jigar.R.Rajpura .
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 Government: Democratic. Only country in the world with 3 capitals. Ranked 48 th in GLOBALISATION INDEX of 68.
Background image of page 2
3
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4
Background image of page 4
5
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2-tier system of healthcare prevalent. PRIVATE SECTOR: PUBLIC SECTOR: H ighly specialized & hi-tech. Under-resourced. Caters to middle-high-income Caters to 80% of the popl. earners(18% of the total population). Takes care of many tertiary specialist Handles primary health services. health services. 6
Background image of page 6
Drug expenditure per person varies widely between the sectors. Although the state contributes about 40% of all expenditure on health, the public health sector is under pressure to deliver services to about 80% of the population. Despite this, most resources are concentrated in the private health sector , which sees to the health needs of the remaining 20% of the population. In 2006 about R8.25-billion was spent on drugs in South Africa, with the state spending only 24% of this. Thus, R59.36 was spent on drugs per person in the state sector as opposed to R800.29 on drugs per person in the private sector. Public health consumes around 11% of the government's total budget, which is allocated and spent by the nine provinces. How these resources are allocated, and the standard of health care delivered, varies from province to province. With less resources and more poor people, cash-strapped provinces like the Eastern Cape face greater health challenges than wealthier 7
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Four years ago there were 161 private hospitals, with 142 of these in urban areas. Now there are 200. The mining industry provides its own hospitals, and has 60 hospitals and clinics around the country. The Hospital Association of South Africa (HASA) represents the interests of more than 90% of private hospitals in South Africa. Most health professionals, except nurses, work in private hospitals. Nurses work both in public and private hospitals. 40% pharmacists work in the private sector. 8
Background image of page 8
9 The South African public sector is now split into 42 health regions and 162 health districts. Since 1994, over 700 clinics have been built almost 2,300 clinics given new equipment 125 mobile clinics introduced. 3,500 clinics in the public sector, offering free healthcare to children under six and to pregnant and breastfeeding women. Two of the largest private healthcare providers are Netcare (www.netcare.co.za), with around 43 hospitals and 18 day clinics throughout South Africa, and Medi-clinic (www.mediclinic.co.za) , which has around 35 hospitals.
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
10 Many people visit South Africa's 2,000 traditional healers, and there is a growing recognition of their value to society. Traditional healers, or
Background image of page 10
Image of page 11
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 37

ew - Presented by Jigar.R.Rajpura. 1 Government:...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 11. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online