Lecture+21+November+22

Lecture+21+November+22 - Todays agenda Decision-making...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–6. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Todays agenda Decision-making under Uncertainty Expected value Expected utility Risk aversion Responses to risk Risk sharing Hedging and diversification Expected value of a random variable Suppose you roll a fair die repeatedly. On average, how many dots do you see? Expected value of the number of dots is the weighted average of the possible numbers of dots, where the weights are the probabilities with which you see the various numbers: Will you ever roll the die and see 3.5 dots? Expected value is the average number you expect to see in large numbers of repeated rolls. ( ) 2 1 3 6 6 1 5 6 1 4 6 1 3 6 1 2 6 1 1 6 1 = + + + + + = d E You think there is an 75% chance that the final exam in this course will be easy and youll get a 90. There is a 25% chance it will be hard and youll get a 70. The expected value of your grade is: A. 90 B. 85 C. 80 D. 75 E. 70 Preferences over uncertain outcomes Suppose a decision maker is choosing between two actions (investments?) with different monetary outcomes. Need a way to think about preferences over these outcomes. First idea: compare them by expected payoff . Suppose you will receive payoff m 1 with probability q 1 payoff m 2 with probability q 2 etc. Why not evaluate this prospect as q 1 m 1 + q 2 m 2 + + q n m n ? St. Petersburg paradox Have I got a deal for you!...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 10/25/2011 for the course ECONOMICS 01:220:102 taught by Professor Prusa during the Fall '10 term at Rutgers.

Page1 / 43

Lecture+21+November+22 - Todays agenda Decision-making...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 6. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online