This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ntense image •
• Divorced or chaotic family pattern
• Inconsistent parenting & discipline
• Selfdenying, selfdeprecating
• Selfindulgent, shame, anger Binge Eating Disorder
Binge Eating Disorder
• The most common eating disorder • Recurrent episodes of eating amounts larger than most in similar circumstance routinely • Episode defined as 2hour period of time or meal
• Nonpurging bulimia – no compensatory behaviors
• Eat rapidly until uncomfortable even when not hungry
• Frequently binge secretly
• Embarrassment & guilt about eating behavior Epidemiology: Binge Eating Disorder
Epidemiology: Binge Eating Disorder
• 5% 30% prevalence in general population
• The most common eating disorder • 3:2 Female to Male • Commonly missed disorder among men
• Age of Onset Late teens to early 20s Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorders:
Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorders:
Comparison • Bulimia • Binge Eating Disorder • Binge eating • Binge eating • Compensatory behavior • No compensatory behavior • Obsessive concern about body • Distressed about bingeing • Obsessive guilt about eating • Nonobsessive guilt or body concern • Feel unable to control • Feel out of control with food • Binge/purge secretly • Less likely to eat secretly • Binge/Purge behavior at least 2X/week for 3 months • Binge 2 days/week for 6 months • Chronic history of food focus, Food cravings and bingeing BODY IMAGE DISTURBANCE
Janet (1903) – “A crowd of little specific delusions” Bodyimage begins to form as early as age 3, but is a consistent conscious awareness by age 8. Bodyimage disturbances serve as a form of dissociation and control mechanism.
Most under and normalweight individuals misperceive their bodies as larger than they are.
Most overweight individuals misperceive their bodies as smaller than they are. Twiggy – 1960s Anorexics Perceive Skin as Fat Exercise Obsession: Common Among AN & BN CONC...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 10/25/2011 for the course HLTH 471 taught by Professor Carolynvoorhees during the Spring '11 term at Maryland.
- Spring '11