Listening Skills - Week 3 Report

Listening Skills - Week 3 Report - Listening Skills...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Listening Skills Listening skills are important in all aspects of life; be it from work to a healthy marriage. A majority of an individual’s day is spent listening; whereas smaller portions are spent communicating through expressive skills which are speaking and writing. The amount of time spent listening during a normal day is covered by Allison Marion in her article Listening Skills in Business. Marion states, “Most employees spend about 60 percent of the workday listening. …yet people typically listen with only about 25 percent of their attention” (Marion, A. M. 2001, p.1). Considering people listen with only 25 percent this means the other 75 percent of the individuals attention is elsewhere, which will lead to missing of important factors that are presented. One may believe that they are listening; though, in all reality they are only hearing what the speaker is saying. Often you will hear the statement, by someone you have been talking to, that they heard you; however as we have come to find out there is a distinctive difference between hearing someone and actually listening. In the class discussion R. Lee emphasizes the difference in hearing and listening by stating, “Many times we hear and whatever being discussed is of little or no importance so we acknowledge the person but we are not really listening, this is considered hearing” (Lee, 2010). The differences in listening and hearing are more adequately defined in the text book. In Communicate! , hearing is generally defined as a key factor in listening though if you are only hearing an individual you would merely be processing or receiving the sound waves emitted by the speaker. Whereas listening on the other hand is considered a process of interpreting the sound waves we gained through hearing; this is not considered a passive activity (Carroll et al. 2005, p. 25). Listening is a skill that can be improved upon over time with proper training everyone can become an effective listener. In C ommunicate! , there are six steps that can lead to better listening. These steps are, “1. Decide to listen… 2.Get
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
your body ready to work… 3. Create a supportive climate… 4. Put the other person first… 5. Select the appropriate type of listening… 6. Communicate that you are listening…” (Carroll et al. 2005, p. 31). Though you may consider yourself to be a good listener you will be able to determine if that is true, or if you just hear what someone is
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 10/27/2011 for the course MBA 525 taught by Professor Dr.thomas during the Spring '10 term at St. Leo.

Page1 / 6

Listening Skills - Week 3 Report - Listening Skills...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online