- Sequence #001 - Fill in your name and PID # and sign your honor pledge on your bubble
Be sure to put your exam in the correct pile or it will not be graded correctly.
Elements of drama include:
1) characters; 2) action; 3) spectacle; 4) audience;
5) all of these.
Greek drama originated as a ritual to the god _________, to whom a choral ode called a ________ was chanted.
1) Zeus, trope,
2) Osiris, psalm, 3) Thespis, trope, 4) Jupiter, sonnet
, 5) Dionysus, dithyramb
Sophocles wrote Oedipus the King in the ______ century, considered the “golden age” of Greek drama.
century, C.E.; 5) 10
The name of the religious festival which sponsored the great dramatic competitions of ancient Athens was called: 1)
the City Fantasia;
the Poetics; 3) the Great Theatron of Athens;
4) the City Dionysia
; 5) the Oracle of Athens.
At the center of the ancient Greek theatre was the __________, or dancing place, and behind it, an oblong building or ________ was
1) proscenium, curtain, 2)
3) orchestra, skene
, 4) harmartia, peripeteia, 5) none of these.
, the term Aristotle used to describe drama, means:
1) stories performed by actors who “mime” the action, 2) an imitation of an
3) an imitation of an action
, 4) a dramatic poem, often sung, 5) mimes who dance the story.
Climactic plot structure features:
1) several plots, 2) no exposition, 3) a sequence of loosely related scenes,
4) rising action leading to a
, 5) all of the above.
An experience of
catharsis (the purging of pity and fear)
on the part of an audience member is most nearly a result of which function of
1) to entertain, 2) to teach, 3) to promote social change,
4) identification and empathy with a dramatic character’s
5) art for art’s sake.
Match the following playwrights with their attributes: (#9-13) Each is used once.
1) Sophocles, 2) Thespis, 3) Aristotle, 4) Seneca, 5) Aeschylus
The “first actor.”
10. His Roman “closet” tragedies (probably not performed) would prove highly influential to Shakespeare
11. Added a second actor to drama
12. Philosopher whose Poetics
formulated the first criteria of drama
13. Added a third actor and possibly some scene painting
14. The chorus of Sophocles’ OEDIPUS REX featured 15 members and functioned as ____________.
the voice of the gods, 2) the voice
of the Oracle,
3) concerned citizens of Thebes
, 4) advocates for the Sphinx;
5) cousins of Oedipus.
15. Oedipus was adopted by _________________ who were King and Queen of __________.