LAST LECTURE--Blackboard

LAST LECTURE--Blackboard - 1 Announcements Study...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: 4/28/2010 1 Announcements Study Guide—Posted on Blackboard Sample Exam Questions—on Blackboard Quiz 5—open until Saturday (some of you had technical problems) FINAL EXAM STRUCTURE Described in Syllabus Study Guide is a direct reflection of exam material Study Sample Questions!!! 75 Multiple Choice Questions 60 Questions—New Material-Ch. 9-14 15 Questions—Synthetic—Ch. 15 and imp. Point covered throughout the course (see study guide) Short essay (8 points extra credit) April 29 th at 9am! BE THERE! VIOLENCE IN THE LIVES OF WOMEN AND GIRLS 4/28/2010 2 Mental Health “Enacted” Violence Violence Exposure Mental Health Victimization Violence Exposure ―Cycles‖ of Violence Sexual Violence Definition—sexual activity where permission is not obtained or freely given Many different types of sexual violence: Sexual harassment Threats Intimidation Rape/Sexual Assault Psychological Impact on Survivors In sexual assault survivors generally Guilt, shame, self blame, powerlessness Depression, anxiety, PTSD, substance use Eating Disorders (Ex: Emily) Sexual difficulties Distrust of men Acquaintance rape may have greater consequences. 4/28/2010 3 Research on Rapists Estimated that only 5% of rapists are incarcerated Who are the other 95%? Survey of 2,000 male college students at 2 elite Univ. 10% of the men admitted that they had committed sexual assaults For these 200 men: average of 4 rapes per rapist 0 cases prosecuted, only 1 case was reported These men admitted to 100s of unreported sexual assaults Rapists: who are they? Rapists are more likely than non-rapists to have been abused as children or to have witnessed family violence Sexist, hostile attitudes towards women Often physically aggressive in other situations More likely to believe ―rape myths‖: False belief that justifies male sexual aggression towards women DOMESTIC VIOLENCE 4/28/2010 4 Components of Domestic Violence...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Page1 / 10

LAST LECTURE--Blackboard - 1 Announcements Study...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 5. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online