Questions from Companion Website
1. A(n) ____ database is one where data are stored in a collection of tables.
All data relationships are represented by common values in related tables.
2. Which is NOT an advantage of a standardized relational language like SQL?
: Fixing deficiencies is relatively easy
The considerable effort required to fix deficiencies is not an advantage of a standardized
language such as SQL.
3. A ____ is a structure that contains descriptions of objects created by a user.
A schema contains these descriptions and may include base tables, views, and constraints.
4. SQL commands can be classified into three types. Which is NOT an SQL command type?
The command types are DDL (data definition language), DML (data manipulation language),
and DCL (data control language).
5. Three SQL DDL CREATE commands are
: Schema, Table, and View.
SQL DDL CREATE commands include Schema, Table, and View.
6. Which is NOT an advantage of using a view?
: Decrease system overhead
Decreased system overhead is not an advantage, as additional processing time is needed to
recreate a view each time it is accessed.
7. A ___ view constructed automatically, not maintained as real data, is costly since it must be
recalculated each time it is requested.
A dynamic view is a virtual table, created each time it is requested.
8. A ____ view can improve the performance of distributed queries, especially if the view is
relatively static and does not have to be refreshed often.
A material view can improve performance of distributed queries.
9. Data integrity can be ensured through which updates?
: Cascading, set null, and restricted updates
Data integrity can be ensured through cascading, set null, set default, and restricted updates.
10. Which keyword is NOT included in most data retrieval statements?
Most SQL data retrieval statements include the clauses SELECT, FROM, and WHERE.
11. Functions include
: COUNT, SUM, and AVG.
Functions include COUNT, MIN, MAX, SUM and AVG.
12. In a basic SELECT statement, ____ determines which tables or views will be used in the
FROM determines which tables or views will be used.