lecture01 - 1 15-251 Great Theoretical Ideas in Computer...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: 1 15-251 Great Theoretical Ideas in Computer Science 15-251 Great Theoretical Ideas in Computer Science www.cs.cmu.edu/~15251 Course Staff Instructors Anupam Gupta Venkat Guruswami TAs Dmitriy Chernyak Mark Wong Siang Kai Ankur Parikh Tim Wilson Grading Homework 28% Final 30% In-Class Quizzes 5% 3 In-Recitation Tests 35% Participation 2% Lowest homework grade is dropped Lowest test grade is worth half If Suzie gets 60,100,70 in her tests, how many total test points will she have in her final grade? (0.07)(60) + (0.14)(100) + (0.14)(70) = 28 Grading Homework 28% Final 30% In-Class Quizzes 5% 3 In-Recitation Tests 35% Participation 2% The Piazza bboard Please get an account on it! Also, use it to contact us, or ask questions to us/other students. Dont miss out on course announcements or important discussions! We will use it for course announcements. 2 9 Homeworks Ten points per day late penalty No homework will be accepted more than three days late Homeworks go out Tuesdays/Thursdays. Due on the stated date, at midnight. Homework must be typeset and submitted via the website 12 Quizzes Ten minutes at the beginning of lecture We will try to grade and return them by the end of lecture. Almost every Thursday. Meant as a sanity check for you If you understand the basics of what we did in the previous lectures, you should be able to ace these. 3 Tests One hour long. However, we will give you three hours, so that time constraints dont hurt you. On Mondays, listed on calendar. Held 6-9pm at a location TBA. Please mark these on your calendars!! 1 Final Three hours long. Verification For HWn, youll verify a small number of submits written by other students for HW(n-1). This will allow you to see common mistakes, and also some good solutions. Deciding which solutions are correct is an essential part of learning. You will be graded (by the TAs) on how well you did on verifying others submissions. Verification As youre verifying others submissions, others will verify yours. Only the TAs will grade your submission. Remember: they are not grading yr submission. Other students do not affect your grade. Please do not try to break the anonymity of the submissions! 3 Collaboration + Cheating Discussion is good for problem solving BUT PLEASE think about each problem by yourselves for 30 minutes before talking about it to others. Groups of at most 5 people (you + 4) But only when done in moderation. And write solutions all by yourself! Collaboration + Cheating You may NOT share written work You may NOT use Google (or other search engines) to search for solutions....
View Full Document

Page1 / 13

lecture01 - 1 15-251 Great Theoretical Ideas in Computer...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online