Karst Landscapes(1)

Karst Landscapes(1) - W ater Resources and Karst Landforms...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–16. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Water Resources and Karst Landforms
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Water Resources and Karst Landforms Earth’s Freshwater Resources 97% of Earth’s water exists as salt water Of the remaining (3%) ~70% glaciers, permafrost, and snow ~30% subsurface water <1% atmosphere, lakes, rivers
Background image of page 2
The Nature of Underground Water Subsurface water All soil beneath Earth’s surface Water contained within soil, sediments, and rock Infiltration Recharges Underground water resources
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
The Nature of Underground Water Subsurface Water Zones and the Water Table Organized by depth and water content Zone of aeration Uppermost zone Called Soil water Percolation Soil water
Background image of page 4
The Nature of Underground Water Zone of saturation Lowest of the 3 layers of underground water Called groundwater Water table Marks the upper limit of the zone of saturation Varies depending on precipitation, outflow, and removal
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Environmental Systems: Underground Water
Background image of page 6
The Nature of Underground Water Intermediate zone Between zones of aeration and saturation Saturated during wet periods Water mining Base flow
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
The Nature of Underground Water Dependent on: Amount of precipitation Evaporation Ability of ground surface to allow water to infiltrate Amount and type of vegetation cover Permeability Porosity
Background image of page 8
The Nature of Underground Water Aquifer Aquiclude Springs Sinks
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Groundwater Utilization Wells Artificial openings below the water table Rate of removal may exceed natural replenishment Sinking of land Artificial recharge Subsidence
Background image of page 10
Groundwater Utilization Artesian Systems Key Terms: Artesian conditions, Artesian spring, Flowing artesian well Examples: Colorado, western Sahara, eastern Australia
Background image of page 11

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 12
Landform Development by Subsurface Water Subsurface water can: Encourages mass movement Remove rock through carbonation Dissolve limestone through carbonation or simple solution in acidic water
Background image of page 13

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Karst Landscapes
Background image of page 14
Remember Dissolution of Carbonates? Occurs when a mineral dissolves into solution
Background image of page 15

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 16
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This document was uploaded on 11/04/2011 for the course GEO 2200 at FSU.

Page1 / 41

Karst Landscapes(1) - W ater Resources and Karst Landforms...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 16. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online