7_Energy_US_WrldSP2008

7_Energy_US_WrldSP2008 - Lecture 7 Global and US Energy...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Lecture 7: Global and US Energy Production and Consumption, or “lo’ whither My Lonely Water Heater” Geography 1000 Spring 2008 January 30 But first some nifty energy terms to know. . Problems in ANWR pp. 305-306 Energy Sources – Figure 12-4 pp. 307 Turbo generators and use pp. 309-310 How fossil fuels form pp. 313 US Dependency on oil imports pp. 319 Oil shale and sands pp. 323 CHP systems pp. 326 For USA, what % of global oil reserves and consumption (p. 303). August 14 Brownout in USA/Canada p.310 Lecture Goals • 1) Alaska National Wildlife Reserve—where what and why • 2) Energy’s high correlation with prosperity • 3) Estimating changing global energy demand and the new and growing role of China and India. • 4) US Energy balance and consumption • 4) Fossil Fuel Assessments in 2008 oil natural gas coal
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 Definitions BTU = The quantity of heat, which is a form of energy, necessary to raise the temperature of a pound of water from 39 to 40 degrees F. A Quadrillion is 1,000,000,000,000,000 A Quad = 10 15 BTUs A typical residential furnace is rated at 100,000 BTU/hour Conversions Quad = 170 million barrels of petroleum 41 million tons of Eastern bituminous coal 57 million tons of Western sub-bituminous coal 1 trillion cubic feet of natural gas 100 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity North Slope Alaska NPRA = National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska ANWR = Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
Background image of page 2
3 ANWR Reserves Part of Study Area 95% Probability Mean 5% Probability ANWR 1002 Area Recoverable 25.0 45.1 69.4 Oil in Place 68.2 121.8 185.3 Entire Coastal Recoverable 33.7 60.7 93.9 Oil in Place 91.8 163.5 248.8 Oil in Quads 2003 U.S. Crude Oil Consumption was 43.1 Quads Energy is still essential to PROSPERITY!: Relationship between energy consumption and Human Development Index Source: World Energy Use and Carbon Dioxide Emissions, EIA (2004) Primary energy consumption per capita 2006
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4 Energy Demand & Prosperity Source: Drivers of the Energy Scene , World Energy Council (2003) Energy demand over time Is Sustainable Development an Oxymoron? • 800 Billion barrels of oil (42
Background image of page 4
Image of page 5
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/06/2008 for the course GEOG 1000 taught by Professor Veeck during the Spring '08 term at Western Michigan.

Page1 / 21

7_Energy_US_WrldSP2008 - Lecture 7 Global and US Energy...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 5. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online