FIN CH 8 study guide

FIN CH 8 study guide - Return On Investment(ROI • After...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Return On Investment (ROI) • After the fact, actual investment returns can be measured by calculating the Return on Investment , or ROI , an annual measure . • The ROI includes: ▫ Income à Cash received. ▫ Capital Gain/Loss à The change in the value of the asset. • It can be expressed in dollars or percentages. Dollar Profits & Percentage Returns • Dollar Profit or Loss = Ending value + Distributions – Original Cost • Rate of Return = Dollar Profit or Loss Original Cost ▫ Example: You took a $3,700 position in a stock. (100 shares @ $37/share) ▫ The stock paid a $1.85/share dividend during the year and is worth $40.33 one year later. What is your ROI? ▫ Income: $1.85 × 100 shares = $185 ▫ Capital Gain: ($40.33-$37.00) × 100 = $333 ▫ Total Dollar ROI: $185 + $333 = $518 Percentage ROI - Stock • To compare investments, percentages are used. Percentages allow you to compare relative returns. • Dividend Yield = D t +1 / P t • Capital Gain/Loss Yield = (P t +1- P t ) / P t • Total ROI = [ (P t +1- P t ) + D t +1 ] / P t ▫ Where: P t = Stock price at beginning of year D t +1 = Dividend paid during year • Example: You took a $3,700 position in a stock. 100 shares @ $37.00/share; $1.85/share dividend; $40.33/share one year later • Dividend Yield = D t +1 / P t • = $1.85/$37.00 = .05 = 5% • Capital Gain/Loss Yield = (P t +1- P t ) / P t • = ($40.33-$37.00)/$37.00 = 9% • Total ROI = [ (P t +1- P t ) + D t +1 ] / P t • = [($40.33-$37.00) + $1.85] / $37.00 = 14% • Or, = 5% + 9% = 14% Or, = ($4,218 - $3,700) / $3,700 = 14% Risk • We know that the higher the risk, the higher the return expected by investors. ▫ This is called the risk-return tradeoff . ▫ Investors wish to maximize their expected return for a given level of risk…or, minimize their risk for a given expected return. ▫ Risk can be defined as a measure of the uncertainty in a set of potential outcomes for an event in which there is a chance of some loss. ▫ Risk can be quantified by measuring the deviations of the actual returns from the average. ▫ We can statistically quantify risk by calculating the variance and its square root, the standard deviation ( σ )....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 11/06/2011 for the course FIN 3100 taught by Professor Gillette during the Fall '08 term at Kennesaw.

Page1 / 7

FIN CH 8 study guide - Return On Investment(ROI • After...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online