06Jan_2 - Biological Science I Tuesdays and Thursdays...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Biological Science I Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:00-9:15, HCB 102 Mondays 5:15-6:15, KIN 1024 06 January 2010 – Lecture 2 CONCEPTS TO UNDERSTAND FOR CHAPTER 2 Matter consists of chemical elements in pure form and in combinations called compounds An element’s properties depend on the structure of its atoms The formation and function of molecules depend on chemical bonding between atoms Chemical reactions make and break chemical bonds 1. Overview: A Chemical Connection to Biology a. Biology is a multidisciplinary science b. Living organisms are subject to basic laws of physics and chemistry c. One example is the use of formic acid by ants to maintain “devil’s gardens,” stands of Duroia trees 2. Matter consists of chemical elements in pure form and in combinations called compounds a. Organisms are composed of matter b. Matter is anything that takes up space and has mass c. Elements and Compounds c.i. Matter is made up of elements c.ii. An element is a substance that cannot be broken down to other substances by chemical reactions c.iii. A compound is a substance consisting of two or more elements in a fixed ratio c.iv. A compound has characteristics different from those of its elements d. Essential Elements of Life d.i. About 25 of the 92 elements are essential to life d.ii. Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen make up 96% of living matter d.iii. Most of the remaining 4% consists of calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur d.iv. Trace elements are those required by an organism in minute quantities 3. An element’s properties depend on the structure of its atoms a. Each element consists of unique atoms b. An atom is the smallest unit of matter that still retains the properties of an element c. Subatomic Particles c.i. Atoms are composed of subatomic particles c.ii. Relevant subatomic particles include: c.ii.1. Neutrons (no electrical charge) c.ii.2. Protons (positive charge) c.ii.3. Electrons (negative charge) c.iii. Neutrons and protons form the atomic nucleus c.iv. Electrons form a cloud around the nucleus c.v. Neutron mass and proton mass are almost identical and are measured in daltons
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/07/2011 for the course BIO bsc2010 taught by Professor Trombley during the Spring '08 term at FSU.

Page1 / 4

06Jan_2 - Biological Science I Tuesdays and Thursdays...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online