Unformatted text preview: shaped “shell” made of silica (silica is main component of beach Sand, rocks, or glass) As diatoms divide, the smaller shell As diatoms divide, the smaller shell becomes the larger shell on the new diatom
• Thus half of the new generation will get smaller and smaller
• To get bigger cells, the
Diatoms have sex and
New larger cells are formed New cell is back to original
New cell is back to original
• Diatoms then divide by cell division
And when they get too small, they
Again have a sexual stage and form
Larger cells. Some diatom species link up in chains. This Some diatom species link up in is thought to increase surface area to help keep them from sinking out of the euphotic zone. Diatom shells fall to the sediments Diatom shells fall to the sediments and can form thick sediments
• This pinkish cliff is diatomaceous earth in Nevada Diatomaceous Earth is very pure Diatomaceous Earth
and is used to filter beverages such as beer etc.
• It is also used to kill insects (roaches etc) because the sharp edges penetrate their exosk...
View Full Document
- Fall '08
- Darwin, Phytoplankton, euphotic zone