Unformatted text preview: lgae are Phytoplankton & Macroalgae are the base of the food chain in the ocean
• They convert energy from the sun into organic matter
• All life in the ocean (except that at hydrothermal vents), from sharks to whales at the top of the food chain, are ultimately dependent on the energy obtained from these photosynthetic organisms Phytoplankton and macroalgae are the base of the marine Phytoplankton and macroalgae are the base of the marine food chain. They capture light energy from the sun. The “consumers” are zooplankton and other animals. “decomposers” are bacteria and they recycle nutrients Phytoplankton are eaten by Phytoplankton are eaten by zooplankton which are then eaten by nekton (swimmers)
• Arctic food chain The marine food chain (simple version). Note how much energy is lost with The marine food chain (simple version). Note how much energy is lost with each step of the food chain. Only about 10% incorporated into successive trophic level Diversity
• There is tremendous diversity in the di...
View Full Document
- Fall '08
- Darwin, Phytoplankton, euphotic zone