RD_final9

RD_final9 - 16.881 Robust System Design Final Exam This...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
16.881 – Robust System Design Final Exam This exam is composed of 4 essays followed by 20 short answer questions (24 questions total). The essays are each worth 10% and the short answers are each worth 3%. Therefore the essays comprise 40% of the credit and the short answers comprise the other 60%. You have 2 hours. Divide your time accordingly, perhaps 10 minutes per essay and three minutes per short answer leaving 20 minutes of buffer for review at the end. When asked for an estimate, any answer correct to within 10% earns you full credit. 1. (10%) In robust design, what is a “dynamic” system? What is “ideal function” in a “dynamic” system? Give an example of “ideal function” in a “dynamic” system from an engineering context. 1 of 10
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2. (10%) What are noise factors? What is a compound noise factor? Under what conditions would you recommend using a compound noise factor? 2 of 10
Background image of page 2
3. (10%) Describe an engineering example of a system integration problem caused by insufficient robustness of the system’s components or subsystems. Explain what failure modes occurred, what noise factors were involved, and how system level interactions came into play. 3 of 10
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4. (10%) Your engineering team is involved in a product development project (imagine a project that is similar to those in your company). You decide to apply robust parameter design techniques to a critical subsystem. Based on the factor effect plots, you choose a set of control factor levels that are predicted to improve the S/N ratio by 12dB. Upon running the confirmation experiment, you find that the rise in signal to noise ratio is only 6dB. What might have caused this difference between prediction and confirmation?
Background image of page 4
Image of page 5
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/08/2011 for the course AERO 16.851 taught by Professor Ldavidmiller during the Fall '03 term at MIT.

Page1 / 10

RD_final9 - 16.881 Robust System Design Final Exam This...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 5. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online