Unformatted text preview: Scientific Method Controls and Variables 1 Scientific Experiments Follow
• An experimenter changes one factor and observes or measures what happens. 2 The Control Variable
• The experimenter makes a
special effort to keep other
factors constant so that they
will not effect the outcome.
• Those factors are called
control variables. control
3 What is the Purpose of a
• Controls are NOT b e ing te s te d
• Controls are used for COMPARISON 4 Other Variables
• The factor that is changed is known as the independent variable.
• The factor that is measured or observed is called the dependent variable. 5 Example of Controls &
Variables • For example, suppose you want to figure out the fastest route to walk home from school. You will try several different routes and time how long it takes you to get home by each one. • Since you are only interested in finding a route that is fastest for you, you will do the walking yourself.
6 What are the Variables in
• Varying the route is the
• The time it takes is the dependent
• Keeping the same walker
throughout makes the walker a
control 7 One more thing… it is best to make several trials with each independent variable. 8 9 ...
View Full Document
- Winter '11