Lecture+21+November+18

Lecture+21+November+18 - Todays agenda Decision-making...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–6. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Today’s agenda Decision-making under Uncertainty Expected value Expected utility Risk aversion Responses to risk Risk sharing Hedging and diversification
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Expected value of a random variable Suppose you roll a fair die repeatedly. On average, how many dots do you see? Expected value of the number of dots is the weighted average of the possible numbers of dots, where the weights are the probabilities with which you see the various numbers: Will you ever roll the die and see 3.5 dots? Expected value is the average number you expect to see in large numbers of repeated rolls. () 2 1 3 6 6 1 5 6 1 4 6 1 3 6 1 2 6 1 1 6 1 = × + × + × + × + × + × = d E
Background image of page 2
You think there is an 75% chance that the final exam in this course will be easy and you’ll get a 90. There is a 25% chance it will be hard and you’ll get a 70. The expected value of your grade is: A. 90 B. 85 C. 80 D. 75 E. 70
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Preferences over uncertain outcomes Suppose a decision maker is choosing between two actions (investments?) with different monetary outcomes. Need a way to think about preferences over these outcomes. First idea: compare them by expected payoff . Suppose you will receive payoff m 1 with probability q 1 payoff m 2 with probability q 2 etc. Why not evaluate this prospect as q 1 m 1 + q 2 m 2 + … + q n m n ?
Background image of page 4
St. Petersburg paradox Have I got a deal for you! I’ll flip a coin repeatedly until it comes up “heads” the first time.
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 6
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/10/2011 for the course ECON 220:102 taught by Professor Rubin during the Fall '11 term at Rutgers.

Page1 / 43

Lecture+21+November+18 - Todays agenda Decision-making...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 6. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online