l7651dat

l7651dat - Lysozyme from chicken egg white for Molecular...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Lysozyme from chicken egg white for Molecular Biology Catalog Number L7651 Storage Temperature –20 ° C CAS RN 12650-88-3 EC 3.2.1.17 Synonyms: Muramidase; Lysozyme c; Mucopeptide N-acetylmuramoylhydrolase Product Description Lysozyme is a single chain polypeptide of 129 amino acids cross-linked with four disulfide bridges. 1 It hydrolyzes β (1 4) linkages between N-acetyl- muraminic acid and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine residues in peptidoglycan and between N-acetyl-D-glucosamine residues in chitodextrin. 2,3 The enzyme is often used for lysing bacterial cells by hydrolyzing the peptidoglycan present in the cell walls. Gram-positive cells are quite susceptible to this hydrolysis as their cell walls have a high proportion of peptidoglycan. Gram-negative bacteria are less susceptible due to the presence of an outer membrane and a lower proportion of peptidoglycan. However, these cells may be hydrolyzed more easily in the presence of EDTA that chelates metal ions in the outer bacterial membrane. 4,5 This lysozyme preparation is purified from chicken egg white, crystallized three times, dialyzed, and supplied as a lyophilized powder. Protein content by UV absorbance is 90% with the remainder ( 10%) being buffer salts such as sodium acetate and sodium chloride. This highly purified enzyme preparation has been used in mass spectrometry as a protein mass calibration standard and in structural studies of proteins. 6-8 It is suitable for use as a lysing agent in the purification of plasmid DNA using a boiling lysing technique. 9
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/11/2011 for the course BIO 7.012 taught by Professor Lander during the Fall '10 term at MIT.

Page1 / 2

l7651dat - Lysozyme from chicken egg white for Molecular...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online