Essential Elements

Essential Elements - Essential Elements Over 95 percent of...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Essential Elements Over 95 percent of the dry weight of a flowering plant is made up of three elementscarbon, hydrogen, and oxygentaken from the air and water. The remaining 5 percent of the dry weight comes from chemicals absorbed from the soil. Roots absorb the chemicals present in their surroundings, but only 14 of the elements absorbed are necessary for plant growth. These 14 elements, along with carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, are called the 17 essential inorganic nutrients , or elements . Some of the essentials are needed in larger amounts than others and are called the macronutrients; those needed in lesser amounts are the micronutrients . All elements are needed in specific amounts. Note that there is a dispute among plant physiologists concerning the role of nickel in plant nutrition. Since many physiologists exclude it as essential, in some the role of nickel in plant nutrition....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 11/14/2011 for the course BIO 1421 taught by Professor Farr during the Fall '08 term at Texas State.

Page1 / 2

Essential Elements - Essential Elements Over 95 percent of...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online