This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
and the Blues Wednesday, February 16, 2011 Birth Place of Blues
• Evidence that it began in in late 19th
century to early 20th century
• Developed in the American South
• The exact location in unknown
– many musicians were playing variations of
similar music throughout the south Wednesday, February 16, 2011 Deﬁnition
• Music is based around a musical
• Most common is a 12-bar blues, where
the same three chords are used in a
12-bar-long repeating pattern.
• Also variations like the 16-bar blues Wednesday, February 16, 2011 Development
• Originated from the hardships that many
African Americans endured during slavery and
pre-Civil War America
• It worked as a natural outlet for the hard
• Work shouts or call-and-response in the
• Became a vocal narrative to help African
Americans in daily life Wednesday, February 16, 2011 Blues Music
• Dominated by African American
• The style is characteriz...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 11/14/2011 for the course ENGLISH 131 taught by Professor Peggyo'brien during the Spring '08 term at UMass (Amherst).
- Spring '08