Unformatted text preview: Present Progressive
Grammar essential #46 Present Progressive
Present What is it?
It is used when action is happening in
the Present progressive has a formula Formula:
– estar (present tense) + present
participle. Making present participle
Making Present participles end in –ing and are part
of a verb phrase.
of Present participles can be used as gerunds
(nouns). If it is regular and the infinitive ends in –ar,
add –ando to the stem.
–ando If it is regular and the infintive ends in –er/-ir,
add –iendo to the stem.
–iendo Making of present participle
Making There are irregular present participles:
r Making of present participle
Making If i is surrounded with e or o, it changes to y.
If the stem ends in a vowel, add –y. creer creyendo
creer Making of present participle
Making Stem changes can only happen if
– it is a stem changer in the present tense.
– it ends –ir. and it will change ou or ei
and Present progressive
Formula – Estar (present tense) + present participle Estar in the present tense.
– She is cleaning. To clean = limpiar Estar (present tense) + present participle Ella está limpiando. ...
View Full Document
- Winter '11
- Participle, Gerund, present participle, –ar