This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Chapt. 37 Diﬀraction 279
e) a = d.
a >> d.
a = 2d.
a = 3d. 037 qmult 00600 1 4 4 easy deducto-memory: diﬀraction grating
6. “Let’s play Jeopardy! For $100, the answer is: An optical device consisting of many narrow slits
(called rulings) or reﬂective grooves (also called rulings).”
a Michelson interferometer, Alex?
converging lens, Alex?
compact disk, Alex?
diﬀraction grating, Alex?
laser, Alex? 037 qmult 00700 1 1 5 easy memory: Rittenhouse
7. The diﬀraction grating was apparently invented (not that anyone noticed much) in 1785 by:
e) Ben Franklin.
Benjamin Thompson (ennobled as Graf Rumford).
David Rittenhouse. 037 qmult 00800 1 1 5 easy memory: use of diﬀraction grating
8. The diﬀraction grating is an important device in:
spectroscopy. 037 qmult 00900 1 1 1 easy memory: diﬀraction grating resolution
9. The bright fringes of a diﬀraction grating diﬀraction pattern are:
e) very high and narrow and this allows high wavelength resolution.
very low and broad and this allows low wavelength resolution.
are exactly like two-slit bright fringes.
are more or less like two-slit bright fringes.
very high and narrow and this allows low wavelength resolution. Full-Answer Problems
037 qfull 00010 1 3 0 easy math:
1. Wavelength 0.633 µm light is incident on a single slit.
a) Qualitatively sketch the diﬀraction pattern intensity as a function of θ.
b) What is the analytic expression for the angular diﬀerence between the nth order minima
on the opposite sides of the central maximum?
c) The two ﬁrst order minima are separated by 3.0◦ . What is the slit width a? ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 11/16/2011 for the course PHY 2053 taught by Professor Buchler during the Fall '06 term at University of Florida.
- Fall '06