Human Fat as a Source of Stem Cells - Kacey Marra

Human Fat as a Source of Stem Cells - Kacey Marra - Human...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–17. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Human Fat as a Source of Stem Cells Kacey G. Marra, Ph.D. Director, Plastic Surgery Research Laboratory Co-Director, Adipose Stem Cell Center Assistant Professor, Surgery and Bioengineering Faculty, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine (MIRM) January 31, 2009 What is Tissue Engineering? The combination of biodegradable materials, cells and drugs to create new tissue Logical Sources of Autologous Cells Blood Bone Marrow Adipose = Fat Our Lab has a Strong Focus on Fat Pittsburgh Fat Bone Marrow vs. Adipose Daniels, E.J., Scientific Data Series in Regenerative Cell Therapy, 2004, MacroPore Biosurgery. Largest tissue in the body (expendable) Autologous fat transplantation yields poor results: 40- 60% reduction in graft volume-Insufficient vascularization-Damaged adipocytes (~90% traumatized by mechanical forces of liposuction)-Remaining 10% tend to form cysts or localized necrosis postinjection Patrick, Anat. Rec., 2001, 263, 361 Adipose Tissue http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003 /01/28/1043534062446.html http://www.michaeljfox.com/ How can we use FAT to treat diseases? http://www.centerforrestoration.com/ breastrecon/beforeafter-images.html www.smiletrain.org www.pittsburghsteelers.com What is our FAT source? http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/liposuction.html Liposuction Technique Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) http://www.losangelestummytuck.com/tummy-tuck-pictures.cfm BEFORE AFTER Gastric Bypass Patients Pre-op 3 mo 6 mo 9 mo Post-Gastric Bypass Patients Isolation of Adipose-Derived Stem Cells [ASC] Receive Discarded Adipose Tissue Mincing, Digestion, Centrifugation of Adipose Tissue Cells have a flat, spindle-like structure similar to fibroblasts Isolation of Adult Stem Cells Zuk et al....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 11/16/2011 for the course CHEM 104 taught by Professor Yang during the Fall '04 term at University of California, Berkeley.

Page1 / 66

Human Fat as a Source of Stem Cells - Kacey Marra - Human...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 17. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online