PHYS20 - Homework 4
1. Which lists the layers of the Sun in the correct order starting from the inside?
(a)Core, Radiation Zone, Convection Zone, Photosphere, Chromosphere,
(b)Core, Convection Zone, Radiation Zone, Photosphere, Chromosphere, Corona
(c)Core, Radiation Zone, Convection Zone, Chromosphere, Photosphere, Corona
(d)Core, Convection Zone, Radiation Zone, Chromosphere, Corona, Photosphere
2. The Sun is mainly fueled by a process called:
3. How does the temperature of the Sun change from the center to the surface?
(a)it does not change
(b)the surface has a much higher temperature than the center
(c)the center has a much higher temperature than the surface
(d)the temperature oscillates
4. The amount of energy per second per square meter received on Earth from the Sun
is called solar wind.
5. Is gravitational contraction the main source of heat production in the Sun?
(a)Yes, because a shrinking gas cloud heats up
(b)No, because if it was the main source the Sun would only last for ~25 mil-
(c)No, because a shrinking gas cloud cools down
(d)Yes, because gravity is the only source of energy production in the Sun
6. Neutrinos are produced in the proton-proton cycle.