{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

PHYS 1525 MASTER Lecture Notes

PHYS 1525 MASTER Lecture Notes - Visceral Physiology Notes...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Visceral Physiology Notes Chapter 25 – Body Fluid Compartments We are made up of a conglomeration of many different systems (each with its own organs and tissues that serve a common function) that are connected with fluids . • The circulatory system connects all these organs/tissues to make the system a whole • ATP is needed by every cell to perform optimally o We get ATP through oxidative phosphorylation of glucose • If the system is provided with adequate oxygen, we are able to extract more energy in a usable form in a biological system. • All of the chemical reactions occur within the cell membrane – doesn’t matter what kind of cell (neuron, muscle cell, etc…) o Oxygen and glucose need to be brought into the cell before they can be utilized Body Fluid Compartments – Extracellular and intracellular Fluids – interstitial fluid and edema • Fluids connect all the systems of the body through the circulatory system • All chemical reactions occur within the cell membrane 60:40:20 Rule – tells you how much water is in the ECF, ICF, and total body • Ratio/percentage (TBW (60%): ICF (40%): ECF (20%)) o TBW – Total Body Water – of the total body weight, 60% is made up of water All material that is going to be used inside the cell to perform a particular function needs to pass through the cell membrane So the total body water can be in two different places (divided by the cell membrane) o ICF – Intracellular Fluid – fluid content within the cell membrane 40% of the total body water is inside the cell membrane o ECF – Extracellular Fluid – fluid content outside of the cell membrane 20% of the total body water is outside the cell membrane • Numbers of normal average water percentage table in Guyton Average adult human being weighs about 70 kg (male or female) – 70 kg = total body weight • How much of this “normal” persons body weight is due to the water content? o Assume – 1 kg of water occupies 1 L o 60% of 70 kg is 42 kg of water – occupies 42 L of total body water o 40% of 70 kg is 28 kg of water – occupies 28 L of total body water o 20% of 70 kg is 14 kg of water – occupies 14 L of total body water o 42L: 28L: 14L • 7% of a person total body weight is equivalent to blood volume o What is the blood volume of the average adult human (70 kg)? 7% of 70 kg is 4.9 L What are the three different cell types found in the blood? • Erythrocytes, leukocytes, thrombocytes (platelets) • 5% of a person total body weight will give a pretty good estimate of plasma volume o Plasma – the liquid portion of the blood without the cellular components (not a formed element of blood) Gender Differences • Female have a little more adipose tissue – stored energy (triglycerides) needed for pregnancy o The higher the lipid content in an individual, the lower the water content This theory fits for comparing two individuals of the same sex (lean vs....
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Page1 / 79

PHYS 1525 MASTER Lecture Notes - Visceral Physiology Notes...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon bookmark
Ask a homework question - tutors are online