Unformatted text preview: How do we pollute our How do we pollute our environment?
List 5 ways Air pollution – can you think of any Air pollution – can you think of any examples? Water pollution – can you think of Water pollution – can you think of any examples? Land pollution – can you think of Land pollution – can you think of any examples? Impact on the Carbon Cycle
Impact on the Carbon Cycle
• List as many ways that human activity may disrupt the Carbon Cycle • Use your cycle diagram to help you
• Discuss What are fossil fuels?
What are fossil fuels?
• Fossil fuels are hydrocarbons, primarily coal, petroleum, fuel oil and gas. • They formed from the fossilised remains of dead plants and animals by exposure to heat and pressure in the Earth's crust over hundreds of millions of years What’s the problem?
What’s the problem?
• The burning of fossil fuels by humans is the largest source of emissions of carbon dioxide, which is one of the greenhouse gases that contributes to global warming. • This means that the surface temperature of the Earth will rise in response. Fossil Fuels
Fossil Fuels What can we do?
What can we do?
List at least 5 Indicator species:
• Looking at Lichens
Lichens are the crusty organisms that grow in places such as on rocks and bricks. • You can also find them on gravestones and the side of trees. • They range in colour from greygreen to orange and red. Lichens
• Sulphur dioxide gas is produced when fuels like coal and oil are burned. • Some lichens are very sensitive to air pollution
• In areas of low air pollution: a large variety of different lichen species
lichens tend to be big and fluffy • In areas of high air pollution: very limited variety of lichen species
lichens tend to be small and crusty We can use lichens as an indicator species.
Explain what you think an indicator species is! This powerpoint was kindly donated to
www.worldofteaching.com http://www.worldofteaching.com is home to over a
thousand powerpoints submitted by teachers. This is a
completely free site and requires no registration. Please
visit and I hope it will help in your teaching. ...
View Full Document
- Fall '08