10:20:11 - Calcium - Minerals Macro minerals: Calcium Ca...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–8. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Minerals Macro minerals: Calcium Ca Phosphorus - Ph Magnesium - Mg Sodium - Na Potassium - K Chloride - Cl Sulfur S Major or macro minerals: necessary in amount >100 mg/day Cations: Ca, Na, K Anions: Cl, S, Mg, Ph Micro minerals: necessary in amounts < 100mg/day. Micro minerals or trace minerals: Iron Fe Zinc Zn Copper Cu Selenium Se Chromium Cr iodine I Manganese Mn Molybdenum 0 Mo Calcium Most abundant mineral in the human body. Makes up 1.5-2% of total body weight Bones and teeth contain 99% of total body calcium Remaining 1% is distributed between intra- and extracellular fluids. Absorption rate: can be as high as 75%. Adults about 30% DRI: mg/day 1-3 500 4-8 800 Males 9 18 1300 19 50 1000 51 - >70 1200 Females 9 18 1300 19 50 1000 51 - >70 1200 Key points: higher amounts in adolescence goes up again in older adults Food Serving Calcium (mg) Servings needed to equal the absorbable calcium in 8 oz of milk Milk 8 ounces 300 1.0 Yogurt 8 ounces 300 1.0 Cheddar cheese 1.5 ounces 303 1.0 Pinto beans 1/2 cup, cooked 45 8.1 Red beans 1/2 cup, cooked 41 9.7 White beans 1/2 cup, cooked 113 3.9 Tofu, calcium set 1/2 cup 258 1.2 Bok choy 1/2 cup, cooked 79 2.3 Kale 1/2 cup, cooked 61 3.2 Chinese cabbage 1/2 cup, cooked 239 1.0 Broccoli 1/2 cup, cooked 35 4.5 Spinach 1/2 cup, cooked 115 16.3 Rhubarb 1/2 cup, cooked 174 9.5 Fruit punch with calcium citrate malate 8 ounces 300 0.62 Calcium levels in selected foods The state of the American diet Average dietary intakes of calcium in the U.S. are well below the adequate intake recommendation for every age and gender group, especially in females. Only about 25% of boys and 10% of girls ages 9 to 17 are estimated to meet the AI recommendations. Dairy foods provide 75% of the calcium in the American diet. Calcium. Updated in October 2007 by: Victoria J. Drake, Ph.D. Linus Pauling Institute Oregon State University it is typically during the most critical period for peak bone mass development that adolescents tend to replace milk with soft drinks . Fig. 11-2, p. 432 Absorption and Transport Found in foods as salts....
View Full Document

Page1 / 28

10:20:11 - Calcium - Minerals Macro minerals: Calcium Ca...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 8. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online