Energyresources - What exit Looking for America on the NJ...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–16. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Energy Resources Energy Resources What exit? Looking for America on the NJ turnpike.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Energy Supply and Demand Energy Supply and Demand 90% of energy consumed in U.S. comes from fossil fuel - coal, natural gas, and oil. Remaining 10%: hydro- and nuclear power.
Background image of page 2
Coal, Oil and Natural Gas. Produced from large accumulations of organic debris deposited long millions of years ago. Ancient “solar energy”. Nonrenewable Nonrenewable resources resources - finite and exhaustible over human time scale. Fossil Fuels Fossil Fuels
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Large reserves of coal. New sources of natural gas and petroleum becoming scarce. U.S. imports more oil than we produce making us vulnerable to global politics! Hydro - and nuclear power plants controversial.
Background image of page 4
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Coal Formation Coal Formation Swamps Plant debris buried Transformed to coal Swamp Peat Sea level rises Compaction
Background image of page 6
Global Coal Global Coal Reserves Reserves W. W. Norton. Adapted from Craig et al., 1985
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Background image of page 8
Classified by Organic Carbon Content Increases with burial, metamorphism Coal Classification Scheme Coal Classification Scheme
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Background image of page 10
Peat Deposit in Ireland Peat Deposit in Ireland
Background image of page 11

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Bituminous Coal seam in sandstone - Utah Bituminous Coal seam in sandstone - Utah
Background image of page 12
Background image of page 13

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
U.S. and Canadian Coal Fields
Background image of page 14
Many problems: pollution and health, hazardous waste.
Background image of page 15

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 16
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Page1 / 46

Energyresources - What exit Looking for America on the NJ...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 16. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online