UGS 303 The American
Test #1 Preview
Review Test #1 Types of Questions:
1. Questions of fact answerable in a word, phrase, or a sentence;
e.g., identifying a text and its author from a quotation, defining a
term such as “memoir,“ or dealing with the subjects in the open-
book exercises (reviewed below).
2. Questions requiring a paragraph to answer; e.g., the subjects of
group exercises (reviewed below).
3. Essay questions calling for multiple-paragraph answers; e.g., the
subjects of group exercises (reviewed below). Students answer
three or four questions from among a list of five or six questions.
Review Test #1 Questions Can Treat These Course Texts:
Follow links for summaries of the readings (These were provided by Jon
Mercado so thank him if you know him)
1. W.R. Thayer, from Theodore Roosevelt: A.
Chapters I, IV, V, VII, XXIV, and XXV, American Autobiography
2. Augustine of Hippo, from The Confessions: “Book I,” “Book II,”
and “Book VI,” Course Packet.
3. Margery Kempe, from The Book of Margery Kempe: “The Birth of
Her First Child and Her First Vision,“ “Margery and Her Husband
Reach a Settlement,“ and “Pilgrimage to Jerusalem,” Course
4. Michel de Montaigne, “Of Friendship,” Course Packet.
5. Mary Rowlandson, A True History of the Captivity and
Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson, Classic American
Autobiographies, pp. 26-69.
6. Jean Jacques Rousseau, from The Confessions, from “Book I”
(to: “Thus I passed the age of puberty.
..), Course Packet.
7. Benjamin Franklin, Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Classic
American Autobiographies, pp. 71-134 and 141-190 (up to: “In 1754
war with France being again apprehended.