10_syllabus_revised_nov_20_11 - 1 Statistics 10 Fall 2011...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Statistics 10, Fall 2011 Syllabus Professor: Mahtash Esfandiari Office: 8941 Math Science Building Office Hours: Monday 3:00 to 4:00, Wednesday 11:00 to 12 or by appointment Email: [email protected] , [email protected] Phone: (310) 825 – 2732 Website: https://ccle.ucla.edu Labs and Discussion Sections Teaching Assistants Lab Discussion 2A Fu, Fei 2B Fu, Fei 2C Zes, Dave 2D Zes, Dave T 12:00 to 12:50 in Boelter 9413 T 1:00 to 1:50 in Boelter 9413 T 2:00 to 2:50 in Boelter 9413 T 3:00 to 3:50 in Boelter 9413 Th 12:00 to 12:50 in MS 5128 Th 1:00 to 1:50 in MS 5128 Th 2:00 to 2:50 in MS 5128 Th 3:00 to 3:50 in MS 5128 Course Objectives The objective of this course is to: Introduce you to basic statistical concepts and methods that underlie statistical reasoning, Teach you how to interpret statistical tables and plots printed in mass media, Teach you how to interpret results of statistical inference referred to in mass media, Enhance your statistical literacy by teaching you how to write and interpret statistical results within context, and Prepare you for following the statistical section of the scientific articles in your major or the major that you plan to pursue. Course management system: Through what is known as the Common Collaboration and Learning Environment (CCLE), the Department of Statistics employs a CMS (Course Management System) with an e-learning system, called Moodle, that enables you to access course handouts, announcements, and quizzes online. Please take the time to login and explore. The website is http://ccle.ucla.edu/ .
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 Course Material: Intro Stats with StatCrunch Access (Custom Eedition for UCLA, taken from the 3 rd Edition), by Richard Se Veaus, Paul Velleman : & David Bock. Boston Mass: Addison Wesley. 2010 ISBN: 9780558433581 (required). A used general copy of the third edition should work just fine if it is less expensive for you than the new edition (see http://www.mypearsonstore.com/bookstore/prodcut.apt? isbn=0321500458 ). Turning Point (ISBN: 9781934931400) Response Card Rf Led Clicker (Item # Rfc-03) see http://www.turningtechnologies.com/alo see http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/education/16clickers.htm17?_r=1 Software: We will learn to analyze data by using a statistical analysis software package called Fathom 2. It is easy to use. You do not need to purchase it (unless you want to work from home). Homework: There will be six homeworks. The homeworks are assigned on Monday and due in section on Thursday. The homework with the lowest score will be dropped. For each homework you are assigned a number of problems from the relevant chapters. For each homework, we choose and grade a number of problems and check to see that you have tried all of the problems. 70% of the score is assigned to the problems graded. If you have tried to solve all of the problems that are not graded, you will get the other 30%; even thought your responses may not be correct. If you have done a partial job of trying the
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/03/2011 for the course STATISTICS 10 taught by Professor Gould during the Fall '11 term at UCLA.

Page1 / 8

10_syllabus_revised_nov_20_11 - 1 Statistics 10 Fall 2011...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online