Chapter14 - CHAPTER 14 Utility Axioms Paradoxes &...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–8. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
CHAPTER 14 Utility Axioms Paradoxes & Implications
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Chapter 14 Learning objectives: Axioms for Expected Utility Paradoxes Implication for Utility Assessment Managerial and Policy Implications
Background image of page 2
Chapter 14 People expected to make choices consistent with maximizing of expected utility Cognitive psychologist have noted that people do not always behave according to expected utility theory Decision Analysis depends on foundational axioms
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Chapter 14 The following example previews some of the issues we will consider: The United States is preparing for an outbreak of an unusual Asian strain of Influenza. Experts expect 600 people to die from the disease. Two programs are available that could be used to combat the disease, but only one can be implemented
Background image of page 4
Program A (Tried and True) 400 people will be saved Program B (Experimental) There is an 80% chance that 600 people will be saved and a 20% chance that no one will be saved Now consider the following two programs: Program C 200 people will die Program D There is a 20% chance that 600 people will die and an 80% chance that no one will die. Would you prefer C or D?
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Axioms for Expected Utility Axioms or assumption relate to the consistency with which an individual expresses preferences from among a series of risky prospects We can call these axioms or rules for clear thinking In the following examples axioms are presented to clarify their meaning
Background image of page 6
Axioms for Expected Utility Ordering and Transitivity: A decision maker can order (establish preference or indifferences) any two alternatives and the ordering is transitive. • Example: Given any alternatives A
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 8
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/04/2011 for the course BUSINESS 500 taught by Professor John during the Spring '11 term at Kansas.

Page1 / 24

Chapter14 - CHAPTER 14 Utility Axioms Paradoxes &...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 8. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online