light-and-reflection-18may10-150dpi-med

light-and-reflection-18may10-150dpi-med - Light and...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–9. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Light and refection Marc Levoy Computer Science Department StanFord University CS 178, Spring 2010 Updated 5/19/10 and recap slides added.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
! Marc Levoy Outline ! measures of light radiometry versus photometry radiant intensity of a point light radiance leaving an area light radiance arriving on a surface irradiance on a surface ! reFection of light diffuse specular goniometric diagrams ±resnel equations and other effects 2
Background image of page 2
! Marc Levoy Radiometry versus photometry ! radiometry is the study of light w/o considering humans spectroradiometer - power as a function of wavelength radiometer - total power, integrating over all wavelengths measurements include - radiant intensity, radiance, irradiance ! photometry is the study of light as seen by humans spectrophotometer - power we see as a function of wavelength photometer, a.k.a. photographic light meter measurements include - luminous intensity, luminance, illuminance 3
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
! Marc Levoy Relationship to tristimulus theory ! the response of the human visual system to a spectrum is ! the total response can be expressed as ! where ! one could also express luminance as 4 ( ! , " , # ) = L e ( $ ) 400 nm 700 nm % ( ) d , L e ( ) 400 nm 700 nm % ( ) d , L e ( ) 400 nm 700 nm % ( ) d ' ( ) * + V ( ) = ( ) + ( ) + ( ) L = + + = L e ( ) V ( ) 400 nm 700 nm % d luminance radiance (Stone) V( ! ), or luminous efFciency curve L ( ) = L e ( ) V ( ) S is actually much lower than M or L
Background image of page 4
! Marc Levoy Radiant intensity of a point light ! power given off by the light per unit solid angle ! i.e. the energy per unit time per unit solid angle 1 watt = 1 joule / second 5 I = P ! watts steradian " # $ % ' (Reinhard)
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
! Marc Levoy Steradian as a measure of solid angle ! 1 steradian (sr) is the solid angle such that the area subtended by that solid angle on the surface of a sphere is equal to the sphere’s radius 2 area of a sphere is 4 ! r 2 , so 1 sr = r 2 / 4 ! r 2 " 1/12 of the sphere’s surface ! examples circular aperture 65° in subtended diameter square aperture 57° on a side a circle 12.7’ in diameter cast by a streetlight 10’ high 6 (http://www.handprint.com/ HP/WCL/color3.html)
Background image of page 6
! Marc Levoy Radiant intensity of a point light ! power given off by the light per unit solid angle ! example 100W light bulb gives off 100 watts over the sphere ÷ 4 ! sr in a sphere = 8 watts within a 12.7’ circle 10’ feet from the bulb 7 I = P ! watts steradian " # $ % ' (Reinhard) (http://www.handprint.com/ HP/WCL/color3.html)
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
! Marc Levoy Radiant intensity of a point light ! power given off by the light per unit solid angle ! related photometric concept is luminous intensity (measured in candelas) 1 candela = 1 lumen / sr ! examples a standard Bouguer candle gives off 1 candela a 100W light bulb with a luminous efFciency of 2.6% (the other 97.4% we don’t see) gives off 17.6 lumens per watt
Background image of page 8
Image of page 9
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This document was uploaded on 12/06/2011.

Page1 / 42

light-and-reflection-18may10-150dpi-med - Light and...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 9. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online