Common infections in primary care Cardiovascular and respiratory systems

Common infections in primary care Cardiovascular and respiratory systems

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Common infections in primary care Cardiovascular and respiratory systems Cardiovascular Rare in General Practice Heart, e.g., sub acute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) Urgent hospital referral required for IV antibiotics Prevention of SBE in primary care Pericarditis, usually to a viral infection – very rare Respiratory URTI and LRTIs URTI – effecting nose, throat / tonsils, ears, sinuses and larynx. Often viral. Viral infections in children often due to RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) causing croup and bronchiolitis Tonsillitis Approximately 70% viral Remaining 30% may be bacterial due to the gram positive Streptococcus Difficult to differentiate between viral and bacterial – dilemma regarding antibiotics Bacterial Tonsillitis o Unlikely to resolve with conservative treatment, often unwell, fever, lymphadenopathy and exudate on tonsils o Later in the small group work we will consider another infective cause of unresolving tonsillitis Streptococcus Infections
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/04/2011 for the course ANTHRO 2000 taught by Professor Monicaoyola during the Fall '10 term at Broward College.

Page1 / 2

Common infections in primary care Cardiovascular and respiratory systems

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online