Small Molecules and the Chemistry of Life

Small Molecules and the Chemistry of Life - Small Molecules...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Small Molecules and the Chemistry of Life Basic Chemistry Matter- anything that takes up space and has mass Element- basic units of matter - 92 naturally occurring elements - xx synthesized elements - about 25 of the 92 elements are essential for life - 96% of living matter is composed of 4 elements: H, C, N, O - remaining 4%: Ca, P, K, S, Na, Cl, Mg The Atom Each element consists of atoms Atom- the smallest unit of matter that will retain the properties of an element - the smallest unit to enter into chemical reactions Neutrons (no charge) 1 amu, Protons (+) 1 amu, Electrons (-) 0 amu Atomic number- # of protons (also # of electrons, by inference) - a unique # for each element - all atoms of that element have that # - used to order elements in the periodic table Atomic mass- # of protons plus # of neutrons Notation- symbol, atomic #, and atomic mass Isotopes- forms of an element that vary in mass (# of neutrons vary) Isotopes cause decimal places in atomic mass In nature, an element is a mixture of isotopes
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/09/2011 for the course BIOLOGY 1305 taught by Professor Adair during the Spring '09 term at Baylor.

Page1 / 3

Small Molecules and the Chemistry of Life - Small Molecules...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online