Unformatted text preview: ays
• ENTROPY - a measure of disorder 7 Energy + energy Energy can be used to
increase order in the system. ENTROPY DECREASES Energy + energy Energy is made available to do work
as order decreases in the system. ENTROPY INCREASES 8 Energy in a narrow sense...
• Energy AVAILABLE to do Work
• G (Gibbs free energy) G = H - TS
energy total energy unusable
energy Free Energy
In the case of a living system...
ENTHALPY = Energy stored in chemical bonds G = H - TS
entropy free energy
enthalpy temp. in OK 9 Changes in Free Energy
• The energy that is AVAILABLE to do
work in the cell
• Δ delta means “change” ΔG reaction =...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 12/09/2011 for the course BSCI 105 taught by Professor Jensen during the Spring '07 term at Maryland.
- Spring '07