Com 300 4.20

Com 300 4.20 - Com 300 4.20.10 Notes: Probability: Playing...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Com 300 4.20.10 Notes: Probability: Playing the odds Probability Distributions – representations of the theoretical patterns of sample data (should look like standard normal curve) - They should be predictable o Example: Tossing a coin and getting heads five times in a row. .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 = Odds are .03125 or 3% Inferential Statistics - To know how likely it is that their sample results may have occurred by chance alone o Sampling statistics When you do non random sampling you cannot do this Example: T test - They provide statistical tests of data significance o For the first time be able to take our variables and see if they react/relate to each other The error should be small o Show the potential error rate of a statistical finding and significance of hypotheses You could find correlations or interesting connections after the RQ has been formed and the tests/research made Example: correlation Inferential: Sampling Statistics - Sampling Error – the degree to which a sample differs from population characteristics on some measure. (only 5% allowed) - Confidence Intervals – the probability that sample statistics “capture” population parameters, within certain margins for error - (95% or z = 1.96) Tests for Comparing Two Means The t – Test - Tells us if our sample mean is significantly different from the population’s mean o Like ensuring you have equal republicans and democrats in a study on
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/10/2011 for the course COM 300 taught by Professor Finnerty during the Spring '08 term at Pepperdine.

Page1 / 4

Com 300 4.20 - Com 300 4.20.10 Notes: Probability: Playing...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online